Almost one million animals – cows and calves – will be weighed before November 1st this year as part of the Beef Environmental Efficiency Pilot (BEEP) scheme.
The ICBF (Irish Cattle Breeding Federation) has produced a series of videos to assist BEEP participants with the process.
It has issued the following advice;
- Handle a weighing scales correctly to avoid injury;
- A single platform unit is between 40 & 50kgs weight so two people are required;
- When putting your scales in a crush, leave about a foot from the top of the crush to the start of the weighing platform;
- Ensure the scales is central and level with no ‘rock’;
- Have a good level surface under the platform to collect accurate weights;
- Test the scales first to ensure that it is weighing accurately – stand on the scales yourself;
- Make sure to have the cables ‘tidy’ before weighing the animals so that they will not get their legs caught in them.
For more information, see here.
Image source: Irish Cattle Breeding Federation (ICBF) \ Youtube