Almost 1 million animals – cows and calves – will be weighed before November 1st as part of the Beef Environmental Efficiency Pilot (BEEP), according to the Irish Cattle Breeding Federation (ICBF).
It has provided the following advice which farmers can follow when weighing animals;
- Ensure its four feet are on the ground;
- Make sure the animal’s head is not out through the side of a crush;
- Ensure the animal is not leaning up against anything;
- When weighing smaller animals, leave the platform a little closer to the front – prevent animals from stepping off front of platform;
- Optimum age for weighing weanlings is between 150-250 days (5-8-months) – good estimation of dam’s milking ability.
Image source: ICBF \ Youtube