WATCH - The benefits of using Tribex 10% for treating liver fluke


Neil Burke who is a young dairy farmer in Co. Meath, farming with his father and milking a herd of 350-cows in a Spring and winter milking system.



Approximately 25% of the family’s herd is Autumn calving, with the remaining 75% calving in the Spring. A grass-focused farming family, grass measuring is carried out weekly on their farm.

“We consider ourselves relatively grass focused farmers.” Neil explained.

“We grass measure weekly and our aim is to get cows out to grass as early (as possible) after calving in the Spring and in the Autumn, we keep them out as late as we can” He continued.



Fluke control -
The family’s current fluke protocol on the farm is to analyse the Glanbia Quality analysis, with a sample taken from the milk tank every three months.

“From here, we can get a clear indication of where we stand in terms of fluke in the herd.” The farmer noted.

The farm have previously had problems with liver fluke, especially in their Autumn calvers two years ago.

“Previously on the farm, we had issues with liver fluke. In particular, it came with our Autumn calvers, two years ago.” Neil explains in the video.

“We seen a massive fall in milk yield.”

This led to the farm implementing a new dosing regime on their farm. To tackle the issue of fluke, the Burke family now use Tribex 10%, from Chanelle, two weeks after housing, during the dry period.

“This gives us massive reassurance that we’ve killed all fluke in the herd and cows are able to go out with a clean bill of health in the Spring.” Neil said.

“Herd health is taken really seriously on this farm. Tribex fits perfectly into our herd health protocol, as it kills all three stages of fluke and sets the cows up really well for the dry period and furthermore, a productive lactation.” He added.

Tribex 10% can also be used on both dairy and beef cattle effectively, according to Ciarán Lenehan the Key Account Manager of Chanelle Group.

“Tribex can also be used on beef cattle.” Ciarán explained.

“Using it three weeks post housing is going to cover you for all three stages of liver fluke. So, You are going to have a clean bill of health for the winter and the subsequent grazing season and you’re going to have no pasture contamination next season.”

Ciaran noted that finishing cattle affected by liver fluke can prove costly, up to €200 more expensive, while cattle also take up to 80days longer to reach target finishing weights.

“Finishing beef cattle affected by liver fluke can take up to eighty days longer to reach targets, so you’re talking an extra €200 and you’re going to see a drastic reduction in feed efficiency also.”



Benefits -

  • Kills all three stages of fluke.
  • Sets cows up for the dry period
  • Ensures a productive lactation
  • Can be used on both Beef and Dairy cattle.
NOTE - When using Tribex animals should be dosed according to their weight. Tribex 10% contains 100mg Triclabendazole and is an oral suspension for administration as a drench.

For further information on Tribex 10% and other products from Chanelle Group see here.

Video Produced by TF Media.

Comments


Latest Videos

The Marts Forecast
The Marts Forecast
Click to View Weekly Mart Schedules
SELECT LIVESTOCK

Cattle Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Birr
  • Carrigallen
  • Granard
  • Elphin
  • Inishowen
  • Manorhamilton
  • Stranolar
  • Tuam

Tuesday

  • Ballina
  • Ballyjamesduff
  • Drumshambo
  • Ennis
  • Enniscorthy
  • Fermoy
  • Nenagh

Wednesday

  • Athenry
  • Ballinrobe
  • Elphin
  • Granard
  • Kilrush
  • Nenagh

Thursday

  • Ballymote
  • Birr
  • Castlerea
  • Drumshambo
  • Ennis
  • Kilkenny
  • Raphoe

Friday

  • Donegal
  • Gort
  • Kilfenora
  • Roscommon
  • Roscrea
  • Tullow

Saturday

  • Balla
  • Carnew
  • Carrigallen
  • Dowra
  • Loughrea
  • Maam Cross
  • Mohill
  • New Ross
  • Scariff
  • Tullow

Sheep Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Ballyjamesduff
  • Carrigallen
  • Elphin
  • Fermoy
  • Kilkenny
  • Raphoe

Tuesday

  • Athenry
  • Ballina
  • Donegal
  • Ennis
  • Inishowen
  • Tuam
  • Tullow

Wednesday

  • Ballinrobe
  • Enniscorthy
  • Gort
  • Manorhamilton
  • Roscommon
  • Roscrea
  • Stranorlar

Thursday

  • Ballymote
  • Carnew
  • Loughrea

Friday

  • Dowra

Saturday

  • New Ross
  • Maam Cross

Dairy Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

  • Kilkenny

Tuesday

Wednesday

  • Enniscorthy (2nd Wednesday Of Month)

Thursday

Friday

  • Fermoy

Saturday

Calf Marts Scheduled Nationwide

Monday

Tuesday

  • Kilkenny

Wednesday

  • Enniscorthy

Thursday

Friday

Saturday