We focus on controlling the weeds in your garden in this week's episode of That's Gardening; advice is provided by Horkan – a well-known qualified Horticulturist who runs four national award-winning centres with his family.
Here, he showcases some of his preferred weed killer products and techniques.
“It’s important to control weeds because if they’re left, they are going to reseed and create a new generation for next year” explained the horticulturist.
- The wolf-hoe – comes in two sizes; one has three blades and the other has a blade on the front and back.
Herbicides and Weed killers;
- Dicophar Lawn Weedkiller – Kills marestail/horsetail – mix it with water and apply it using a pressure sprayer or even a hand-held sprayer – repeat after a couple of weeks.
- Weed-free – mix with water – kills a wide spectrum of weeds like nettles or docks – becomes inactive when in contact with soil so there will be no damage
- Roundup – Kills more persistent weeds around tree stumps or Japanese Knotweed. Apply through pressure/knapsack sprayer. It’s very strong.
- Path & Drive – This is a powder that should be mixed with water to spray your footpaths, driveways or even gravesites. Stops weeds germinating for up to six months.
- PAC – Controls moss on driveways, slates, walls and footpaths. Dilute one part Pac to 10 parts water.
Produced and edited by TF Media