That’s Farming – the fastest growing Agricultural publication in Ireland – has launched That’s Gardening in association with Paraic Horkan.
We focus on planting lettuce and in this episode; advice is provided by Horkan – a well-known qualified Horticulturist who runs four national award-winning centres with his family.
Paraic advises that it’s the time of year to take control of blight, particularly on potatoes and tomatoes – he uses Bayer Blight Control.
- Apply ‘Bayer Garden’ onto the foliage of the potatoes/tomatoes to keep them completely blight free through to the end of summer.
The horticulturist shows us how to make a window box of salad plants;
- Fill the window box with Bord Na Mona compost and sprinkle ‘Grow Sure’ fertilizer on top,
- Space the plants about six inches apart in the container,
- Fill the window box completely and add water,
- Regular feeding with Universal Liquid Feed will encourage growth throughout the summer,
- Cut or pick lettuce leaves as you want as it will re-grow,
- Use 'Bug Clear Fruit and Vegetable' - is good to use for greenfly, caterpillar or other bugs that might attack your plants. It is made from natural oil-seed rape, so you can eat the vegetable on the same day.
Video produced and edited by TF Media