‘Sound girls doing mad things’ is the theme for this year’s Blue Jean Country Queen Festival organised by Meath Macra Na Feirme.
The Festival brings over 20 young women from all over Ireland and abroad to Athboy for a weekend of great fun and entertainment.
The festival that is being held in Athboy, runs throughout the Bank holiday weekend from Friday, May 31st to Monday, June 3rd.One lucky Queen will be heading home with the title of Blue Jean Country Queen, as well as €1000 in prize money from Athboy Credit Union.
Friday, May 31st
- The Queen’s on-stage interviews - 7pm - Athboy Community Person of the Year - Dara Englishby - will open the festival in the Darnley Lodge Hotel
- DJ Mark Caffrey
Saturday, June 1st
- Street Fair - 1-5pm - live music on the streets and children's entertainment
- The Great Blue Jean Bake Off - a chance for gifted bakers to compete for the best bread or cupcakes.
- Pitch and Putt with The Bawn Inn with transport to and from the venue provided by Anthony Tennaty
- The annual Karaoke competition - 5pm - Floods Bar
- Free family BBQ - 7pm - Credit Union Car Park.
- Pub Crawl - 9pm
- Joe Fury and the Hayride - 11pm - CU Marquee
- Fr. Ted themed fancy-dress disco in TABU Nightclub and Venue.
Sunday, June 2nd
- Lark in the Park - 12:30 - 80s vs 90s Pop Stars Fancy Dress Football Match in Athboy's Fair Green
- Fashion Show, where the Queens will show off their best blue jeans and formal wear.
- Music, sideshows, food and children's attractions until 5 pm.
- Gala Banquet - 8 pm - Queens, Macra members, dignitaries, sponsors, and supporters will gather the Darnley Lodge Hotel
- CU Marquee - the 2019 Blue Jean Country Queen will be revealed
- After the coronation of the new Queen, it will be time to party until late with 'Off The Wall'.
The victorious Queen will receive €1,000 from Athboy Credit Union. As well as a perpetual cup, tiara and golden sash.
Second prize receives €500 from M&G Groundworks and third prize wins €250 from Hi-Spec Construction.
Monday, June 3rd
- The festival will wind down in the Darnley Lodge Hotel from 1 pm. committee, host families, sponsors and well-wishers are welcome to see the Queens off with live music.
Every year the organizing committee selects three individuals and charge them with the task of selecting the new Queen. Returning from 2018 and representing the community of Athboy will be James Hesnan, Linzi Stewart of Rural Youth Europe and Kate Manning, the 2014 Blue Jean Country Queen.
Meath Macra na Feirme are delighted that they will be welcoming back the current Blue Jean Country Queen Alison O'Connor.
Alison, a member of Causeway Macra in Kerry and the first Queen from the Kingdom to ever win the Blue Jean Country Queen.
Reflecting on her year she said: “I can’t imagine what my Macra life would be like if I hadn’t crossed paths with the Blue Jean Country Queen Festival.
“Having only been very new to the “Macra” scene, it provided me with the opportunity to meet and get to know some of the nicest people dotted all over Ireland.”
Speaking at the launch of the Festival in the Causey Farm on May 6th, Chairperson Ciaran Kearney expressed his gratitude to everyone who helps in the organization of the festival: “I would like to thank our committee for all their hard work.”
“We also couldn't run this festival without the fantastic support of Athboy Credit Union, M&G Groundworks and High-Spec Construction and The Darnley Lodge Hotel.”
He also noted the graciousness of the town of Athboy, which has hosted the festival since 1987: “Athboy is also incredibly important to us as a Festival and we also wish to thank them for giving our Queens a warm and wonderful welcome every June.”
Image source: David Gilroy - Firepan Photography