“Farmers, it is very important that you and others are aware of and stay out of, crush zones when using farm machinery” a statement from the Health and Safety Authority (HSA) stresses.
Advice from the HSA:
- When exiting machinery, make sure the handbrake is fully applied;
- Be aware of the dangers of unattended machinery and use the safe stop procedure;
- When leaving the cab to attach equipment or opening gates, be aware of, and stay out of, crush zones;
- Make sure all farm personnel are clearly visible at all times when reversing any machinery;
- When handling bales, be aware of the dangers of stacked bales collapsing or bales falling from a height;
- Never walk under a raised loader or any raised load, even when empty.
For guidance on the safe use of tractors and machinery on farms, see here.