A Garda from the Mounted Unit, explains how to react when you meet a horse on the road.
It is important to remember that a horse can weigh the same as a small car.
A collision would cause serious injury to both the car, rider and all passengers in the car.Even the most experienced and well-trained horse can get a fright on the road.
Follow these steps when you meet a horse on the road;
- Immediately slow down your vehicle to walking pace,
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the horse,
- Obey any signal that the rider provides - they may be aware of potential hazards that you cannot see or hear,
- Keep noise to a minimum - avoid over-revving your engine or sounding your horn,
- Do not drive up too close behind the horse,
- Ensure to leave at least a car’s width between your car and the horse when passing,
- When you have passed the horse, drive away slowly.
For more information, click here
Video Source: RSA \ YouTube