In the tenth episode, That’s Gardening - in association with Paraic Horkan, who runs four national award-winning garden centres - will bring you simple tips on how to sow your own plants from seed.
The following plants can all be sown from seed at this time of year;
- Blue-flowering campanula,
- Scented wallflowers,
- Ground-covering flocks,
- Kitchen herbs including; Thyme, Rosemary, lavender.
What you need;
- Propagation unit / seed tray (with covered structure).
- Good quality compost - Growise is used here,
- Vermiculite - Pearlite is used here.
- Fill the soil tray with compost - should be moist be not too wet,
- Spread the seed evenly across the entire surface of the soil,
- Cover the soil with the vermiculite - keeps the light in, allows moisture to get through to the seeds and allows the seeds to germinate a lot quicker and more evenly,
- Place the plastic cover over the top.
Leave in a bright window or conservatory and allow the seeds to germinate for approximately two weeks. Lift off the cover and when the seeds are about two inches in height, replant them in smaller pots until they are ready for replanting in the garden.
The show – which airs every Sunday at 10am – features top seasonal gardening tips.
Video produced and edited by TF Media