Welcome to That’s Gardening, in association with Horkans Garden Centre.
In this week’s episode, our resident horticulturist, Paraic Horkan answers some of our viewer's questions and gives you top tips for a pest-free flourishing garden.
How to turn pink Hydrangea to blue
- Add Hydrangea colourant - sprinkle around the base of the plant and the rain will help the soil absorb it. Do this once a year.
How to prevent Carrot Root Fly
- Cover the crop with Enviromesh - organic
- Root Fly Control treatment - apply it to the foliage
- Plant Resistafly variety of carrot
How to prevent slugs and flies organically
- Eraza slug pellets - Little and often - apply in the evening - suitable for flowers and vegetables
- Hygea Bug Spray - protects against green-fly and caterpillars - spray onto the foliage
- Grazers treatment - protects against Hares, Rabbits and Pigeons - apply to water and spray over plants
How to prevent caterpillars from attacking Cabbage plants
- Sow Nasturtium seeds in another area of the garden - Caterpillars prefer this to brassicas and the white butterfly will lay its eggs there instead
- Enviromesh will also work
How to treat Marestail Weed
- SBK Brushwood Killer - mix with water and apply to the foliage - repeat during summer and possibly next year for complete eradication
- Dicophar - commonly used for lawn weeds but also effective on Marestail weeds
Video produced and edited by TF Media