British start-up company, RootWave, are set to shape the future of weed control, with their latest technology that uses zero chemicals and eradicates weeds via electrocution.
The company sought to produce a new technology which is not harmful to insects or the environment, with a worldwide debate ongoing over the dangers associated with pesticides and glyphosates. The RootWave technology obtains its power via the PTO of a tractor, which runs it through an alternator and back to the “black box”. The electric shock is administered to weeds through an electrode. The weeds are electrocuted by boiling them inside out, from the roots up.
The technology boasts many benefits, the main one being its sustainability.
- Sustainable - It uses “organic” technology to control any and all weeds, whilst also protecting the environment.
- No Till - It leaves the soil untouched, reduces soil erosion, carbon emissions, and disease.
- Affordable - Using the technology is generally more affordable. It uses no consumables and has a low fuel consumption.
- Extremely Effective - Zapping the roots ensures weeds are systemically killed.
- Quick and easy to use - The system treats weeds near instantaneously.
The company say they are replacing mechanical hoes and chemical sprays with their design. Currently, the start-up company is pursuing further investment to push their project forward. They are also looking to partner with machinery companies, so they can add their technology to pre-existing weeding platforms. The aim to have their technology rolled out worldwide by the year 2020.
You can visit their website for further information here.