Mike Broderick has twenty-two years’ experience of agitating slurry on his farm. On one particular April day, it was business as usual and Mike was agitating slurry.
He noticed that one of his heifers was staggering and the herd were beginning to lose power. Mike knew immediately that gas was causing the problem.
He ran down the yard to open the gate quickly and he saw that two of his cattle had already died.
On instinct, Mike bent down to grab the heifer’s head away from the gas without realising that he was putting his own life at risk.
Every time Mike lowered his head, he was inhaling a portion of the gas; one deep breath could have killed him.
“Don’t forget, it’s a matter of seconds between life and death”, said the farmer. As Mike ran over to his house, he was already suffering from chest pains and was out of breath.
Luckily, his wife Angela was at home and she took him to the hospital. Mike escaped serious injury and death but suffered from shock after the accident.
“I want to make other people aware of what can happen,” said the Galway man.
There are two things to remember when working with slurry;
- You are engaging in a dangerous practice.
- Do not have the animals in the shed.
Mike warned all farmers that you have an obligation to your family and “you are no good to them six-foot under, so cop yourself on,” he concluded.