Teagasc are hosting a new Dairy Startup course for farmers who are interested in converting their farm to milk production.
The course, that will take place in September, is designed to “help you decide whether dairy farming is right for you”.
Participants will have the opportunity to engage with leading Teagasc experts.
Robert Birney took part in the course and plans to go into dairy by 2020. He said, “One of the things that I like about the course is that we’re all like-minded people, we’re all new entrants to dairy.”
“There’s a lot of technical stuff but, they give it to you on a one to one basis so it’s really easy to understand," he added.
The course is as follows;
Days 1 – 4
- Autumn 2019
- Focus on gathering information and planning
- A mixture of locally based training and visits to Teagasc Moorepark
- 10 monthly meetings during 2020
- Focus on Implementation
- Locally based
- Focus on review and next steps
- Central venue
- Course Content
The first 4 days of the course will cover:
- Cost of converting your farm to dairy milk production,
- Expected costs and returns from milk production,
- Farmyard design,
- Grazing infrastructure,
- Animal breeding,
- Animal health & biosecurity,
- Milking machine design & wash routine,
- Milking routine,
- Milk quality.
The cost of the course is €750 (€600 for Teagasc clients) per participant.
Closing date for expressions of interest for the course starting in autumn 2019 is 15th July.
For further information, click here