Almost one million cows and calves will be weighed before November 1st this year as part of the Beef Environmental Efficiency Pilot (BEEP) scheme, according to the Irish Cattle Breeding Federation (ICBF).
Chris Daly, who offers the following advice when washing and disinfecting weighing scales in this video;
- Wash the scales just after you use it to avoid the dirt sticking to it - if you let it dry-on, it can be more difficult to wash.
- Wet the platform prior to weighing - it will be more easily cleaned afterwards.
- Wind the cable around each leg of the beam - this keeps the cable tidy and keeps the end of the cable protected.
- Disinfectant the platform - brush some disinfectant around the sides of the platform and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Rinse the disinfectant off the platform.
Video source: ICBF \ YouTube