Beef finishing tips provided by David Magee M.Agri.Sc, Ruminant Nutritionist at Kiernan Milling:
- If opting to feed cattle ad-lib, ensure that you give them an appropriate adoption period – start with 3 kilos of concentrates every 3/4-days – increase by 1.5 kilos;
- Once you go over 4 kilos of concentrates, split to twice-a-day;
- Ensure that there is always fresh palatable forage at any given time;
- Easy access to clean water;
- Adequate lying space of 2.3m squared per finishing animal;
- Feeding space – 2 feet per animal;
- Ensure silage is tested – if feeding 65 DMD silage, feed 7kgs of concentrates to achieve a growth rate of 1kg or if feeding 75 DMD silage, feed 4kgs of concentrates to support a growth rate of 1kgs.
To find out more information, contact Kiernan Milling.
Video produced and edited by TF Media