Macra na Feirme's Young Farmer Skillnet in conjunction with Dawn Meats has announced the launch of a new eight-month Young Beef Farmers Sustainability Programme.
Mairead McGuinness launched the new programme, which is aimed to assist with adding value to beef enterprises, at Tullamore Show, last Sunday 13th August.
It was a jam-packed agenda for Macra na Feirme, as the Macra/FBD Farmskills National finals took place at the show also.
Programme participants are set to get insights into profitability, sustainability and efficiency improvement, which can be made applicable to their own farm practice.
Specific focus has been placed on the following:
- Analyse and evaluate their own business and to make choices for future growth and efficiency;
- Understand the customer requirements in the retail marketplace and how as beef farmers they can meet those requirements;
- Identify practices on their individual farms that can enhance sustainability and profitability;
- Share and communicate the knowledge gained from the programme with their fellow young beef farmers;
- Perfect their communication style when dealing with people - from farm staff and contractors to the bank manager
The programme, which will cost €585 per participant, is compiled of sixteen modules, which will run from September to March 2017.
While the programme modules are subject to change, a trip to the National Ploughing Championships, a Beef Factory tour followed by Media training, a communications training workshop and a visit to Newford Herd, Atherny; all have been earmarked so far.
Interested parties can express their interest by filling the online application form on Macra’s website facility or alternatively contacting the National Office.
As part of the application process, information, future plans, benefits and challenges and opportunities facing your farm will be shared by each candidate applying.
There are limited places available and applications have to be received by midnight of 3rd September 2017.
Early applications have been advised.
Successful candidates will receive notification at the National Ploughing Championships in Tullamore in September.
In order to obtain further information, see here. Or alternatively email Paul Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.