Thousands of Dutch farmers are travelling in tractors to The Hague today (Tuesday, October 1st) where they will demonstrate this afternoon.
In a statement, the Agractie foundation said that in recent years, politicians and activists have “sketched a negative image about farmers”.
“We are not animal traffickers and environmental polluters; we have a heart for our company.”
“The unreliability of the government and authorities is the reason for us to give a negative opinion. The problems of the Netherlands do not belong on our plate.”
“And that’s why we are going to The Hague. With hundreds of tractors and cars, we show what we think of the current policy.”
The group invited all farmers, suppliers and people who “have a warm heart for the agricultural sector” have been invited to participate in the protest.
The ANWB reported that it was the busiest ever rush morning on the nation’s road, with more than 1,000 kms of traffic jams due to the tractors, weather and accidents.
List of demands from protesting farmers:
- “We do not want forced further reduction of livestock”
- “We want strictly independent measurements of CO2 and nitrogen by an independent party that is supported and accepted by the entire sector. No calculation tools.”
- “We want the policy on plant protection products to be based on scientific facts, not on assumptions and emotion. And that clarity about this comes to the citizen.”
- “We want unworkable rules to be reviewed in co-ordination with the sector.”
- “We want clarity for the long-term in co-ordination with the sector.”
Image source: Agractie NI \ Facebook