A series of meetings are being held across the country to increase farmers’ understanding of the value of their forest asset and how best to optimise returns.
IFA has joined forces with Western Forestry Co-operative for the “Value Your Forest Asset” roadshow.
The farm organisation's forestry chair, Vincent Nally, said that many farmers planted forestry due to the grants and forest premiums available, but have limited knowledge of the value of their forest as it matures.
The meetings will present the results of specially commissioned forest valuation research that will give farmers an insight into the value of their forest asset, as well as the timber value as the crop matures.
“There has been a significant increase in the demand for semi-mature forests in recent years. It is vital that farmers understand the value of their forest so they can make the best decision for their farm business,” said Nally.
Good forestry management
Marina Conway, Western Forestry Co-operative said good forestry management will be a key focus of the meetings.
“I will be sharing examples of returns to farmers from harvests, as well as the key lessons we have learnt from managing harvesting operations in farm forests,” she said.
Dates and venues:
- Mayo - Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 - 8pm - McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris, Co. Mayo;
- Clare - Wednesday, October 30th, 2019 - 8pm - Treacys West County Hotel, Ennis, Co. Clare;
- Kerry - Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 - 8pm - Manor West, Tralee, Co. Kerry;
- Kilkenny - Thursday, November 7th, 2019 - 8pm - Newpark Hotel, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny;
- Cavan - Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 - 8pm - Hotel Kilmore, Co. Cavan.