A microscopic parasite that can cause respiratory and gastro illness has been found in 2 north Cork drinking water supplies the Irish Examiner has reported.
Tests into drinking water supplies of Ballyhooly and Mitchelstown found the presence of cryptosporidium in the water supply earlier this year.
The EPA has found that their had been a failure to fit any barriers to prevent the bacteria from enter the water supply in Ballyhooly.
The supply is understood to be at ‘very high risk’ of contamination.
The EPA has called on Irish Water to prioritise the installation of a batter to ensure safe and healthy drinking water.