It's been a quite week on the farm with the showery weather. Crops have really jumped out of the ground and are moving well through the growth stages.
Winter wheat is the most impressive crop at the moment and it has really greened up, I think the decision to put the nitrogen out early might have worked to the crops advantage as with weather being dry before the rain it was being feed as the nitrogen slowly broke down and then with the rain it just took off. We would be in an area of low septoria pressure even in a high pressure year and crops are very clean, it will be another 7 to 10
Days before we are thinking of a t2 spray.
Winter barley is also looking well, this showery warm weather is ideal for the crop and will really help
fill the head, it is all headed out and relatively clean, it will get its head spray first thing next week.
Winter oats will be shortly due its head spray also, the heads are just appearing. We will keep an eye on the crop and when the head is half out it will get its final spray. We have gone with a 4 spray programme on the winter oats this year and it will be interesting to see the results at harvest time.
Spring oats is moving along nicely also. On Wednesday there was a chance for spraying and it received a pgr, normally this would have went out with the first spray but the mix was a little hot which meant an extra pass with the sprayer 7 days later.
Spring barley is the crop that has really benefited mostly from the moisture, the early sown crops are a dream to look at and I think there is nothing nicer than looking into a thick green canopy of spring barley. The later crops were struggling and need all the moisture they are getting. Crows are still a problem in the last of the crops sown and the shooters have had to spend a couple of half days in one particular field to give it a chance, they did a lot of damage before we realised they were in it.
The sprayer also got to cover some barley on Wednesday, crops received a herbicide and an aphicide. The first chance that we get the next block will get sprayed.
We have been quite enough with other work, we ploughed a few more pieces for the glas scheme and next week we will put on the drill and run around and spend a couple of days getting them sown.
The broken weather has also given us a chance to fix the sprayer, the boom levelling wasn't working correctly and while it wasn't stopping us working it was frustrating, after a bit of investigation we discovered that a couple of relays were gone in circuit board. The board had to be taken out,to do this the 40 wires all had to be marked and noted where they came of so they were put back on correctly, while not difficult it was a time consuming job but all seems to fixed again so the main spray operator (my father) is happy again.
While we are glad of the rain hopefully next will take up as we would be like to get the final sprays on the winter barley and oats and the spring barley sprayed for weeds.