Oldcastle Agricultural Show is hosting their biggest event to date as they celebrate the 80th anniversary of the show on Sunday, (July 21st).
The Young Farmer’s Competition is the newest event to be added to the bill. The contest is open for 16 – 21 years.
To enter, you must hold a Category W driving licence and be within the age limit. Licences will be inspected on the day. Competitors will also be judged on three tasks;
- General agricultural knowledge – written test
- Animal judging and classification
- Tractor skills
First prize will take €300 and a cup, 2nd prize: €200 and 3rd prize: €100
- Gerry Guthrie will be joining a host of local talent singers including Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalist (2018) and YouTube sensation, Fr. Ray Kelly for the 80th Show.
- Gillian Tuite, Anthony Pakenham and Max Mason will also be taking to the stage.
- And don’t forget your dancing shoes as there will be prizes for the best jiving. The Stars and Spangles Line Dancers will be making their annual return to the Gilson Park.
- Chairman, John McEnroe, told the large crowd at the launch, he’s hoping for sunshine this year and that there has been a lot of work going on in the background for the last 12 months to ensure this will be the biggest show to date.
- There will be a prize fund of €1,500 for the winner of the Oldcastle All-Ireland Final Young Beef Bullock Championship.
- The ever-popular “Greatest Cockrel of Oldcastle” competition will cause plenty of feathers to be ruffled.
- The novelty Tug of War contest will separate the men from the boys and the women from the girls. The reigning champions will be hoping to keep the John Hubble Perpetual Cup in its hometown. So if you think your team has the strength, stamina and stubbornness to win email - email@example.com
- The Automobile Section will have a large range of old fashioned tractors and machinery.
- Shearers are flocking to the show to take part in the Sheep Shearing Junior and Senior classes.
- The Oldcastle Dog Show has classes from purebred to a mongrel with lots of great prizes and rosettes to be won.
- Little Miss Oldcastle and the Young Bachelor of Oldcastle will also be crowned on the day. And you wouldn't want to miss the spectacular Birds of Prey which are flying into Oldcastle for the day.
- St. Brigid’s A.C. will be running a number of fun races for children and there’s also free entertainment for children.
There will be almost €30,000 in prize-money to be won on the day.
Entries are now being taken in over 350 classes in the cattle, sheep, equine, poultry and home industry competitions.
Image source: Oldcastle Agricultural Show \ Facebook