A Charolais-cross heifer from the herd of Alan Veitch broke all Northern Ireland records for a cross-bred animal at the NI Commercial Cattle Exhibitors’ Club sale at Dungannon Farmers’ Mart on Friday (February 15th).
The Fury Action daughter – weighing 580kg – set a new NI record of £9300 (approx. €10,650) following strong bidding activity from purchasers from the Republic of Ireland; she was acquired by Blair Duffton and Gareth Small.
The Overall Champion – a British Blue heifer from Jack Smyth - weighed in at 265kg and went on to make £7600 (approx. €8,700); she was knocked down to Blair Duffton, Rebecca Stewart and William Moir from Aberdeen in Scotland.
Standing in the Reserve Champion spot it was another Charolais from Alan Veitch; this heifer was acquired by the Woodside family for £4500 (approx. €5,150).
The Limousin Champion was from herd’s Josh Armstong; she went on to sell for £1700 (approx. €1,940) to Blair Duffton, while the Native Breed Champion was an Aberdeen Angus heifer from Fintan Keown; she made £1320 (approx. €1,510) and was purchased by A&A Callaghan.
The ‘Any Other Breed’ champion was awarded to Ian Elliot for his Simmental-cross heifer; WM Weatherup forked out £1280 (approx. €1,465) for this entry.The breeding Heifer champion came in the form of an entry from the herd of D&C McKee; this heifer failed to make her reserve.
Other notable prices on the day included:
- Jack Smyth - a Charolais-cross heifer £2300 (approx. €2,635) to David Spiers;
- Brian Quinn - a Limousin-cross heifer £1900 (approx. €2,180) to M McKinstry;
- Gordan Culter - a Shorthorn-cross heifer £1700 (approx. €1,950) to M McKinstry;
- B O’Hare - a Limousin-cross steer £1640 (approx. €1,880) to Phil Sellers (England);
- A Veitch - a British Blue heifer £1600 (approx. €1,830) to Richard Naylor (England);
- Emmett Kelly - a Limousin-cross heifer £1500 (approx. €1,710) to Blair Duffton (Scotland);
- Emmett Kelly - a Limousin-cross heifer £1400 approx.€1,400) to Shane McCarvill (Monaghan).
There was a great interest in top quality breeding heifers with a 97% clearance with an average heifer price of £2090 (approx. €2,395) and an average steer price of £1180 (approx. €1,350), according to a club spokesperson.
“It was a steady trade from start to finish with a total of 7 cattle exports from this sale with 6 going to the mainland UK and one going to the Republic of Ireland.”
Speaking following the event, Event Club chairman- Robert Simpson “This event is in its fourth year of running and this has been our best sale to date, with a larger entry of stock and buyers coming from afar it is a sale that can only get better”
Image source: Tricia Kennedy via Blair Duffton \ Facebook