A Galway cow has been identified as infected with BSE, or mad cow disease.
The cow was one of a few ‘fallen’ animals who died unexpectedly, according to Newstalk.
The Department of Agriculture has confirmed that BSE was present in the cow after examining it in a screening test. However, it’s ‘atypical BSE’, which appears spontaneously, unlike ‘classical BSE’ which is developed in the first year of life from outside influences.
The cow was 18 years old, and there are no public health risks being posed at this moment.