The Management of Kilmallock Mart has announced that it will hold a Wednesday evening calf sale from February 27th until Mid-April in addition to its Monday calf sale.
“The success of our Tuesday evening weanling sale has led us to believe that there is a big demand for evening sales. We believe that a Wednesday evening calf sale will bring many benefits for both sellers and buyers.” A spokesperson for the mart said.
The spokesperson outlined the following advantages of the new sale:
- It will mean that farmers have an alternative to Mondays and the early morning start;
- It will mean more space in the mart for both people and livestock and should make it a much more comfortable experience;
- It will reduce the time spent queueing to bring in calves for both Monday and Wednesday;
- By having an additional sale on Wednesday, we would expect that the Monday calf sale will not be as big and will also mean that Monday should be an easier and shorter day for everyone;
- The Wednesday evening sale will give everyone who buys and sells a better chance to get to the Mart.
This sale is being promoted as a sale for lots of 5 calves or more, the spokesperson highlighted.
- Lots of 5 calves or more will be sold at the beginning of the sale and large commission discounts will apply.
- For e.g. on Wednesdays, calf under €20, single calf commission €5, sell lot of 5 or more for €2.5 per calf. Calf €21-€50, single calf commission €6, sell lot of 5 or more for €3.50 per calf. Calf €51 - €120, single calf commission €9, sell lot of 5 or more for €6 per calf.
- Please note that lots of less than 5 calves will be sold at the end of the sale.
- If owners feel that they cannot put lots of 5 or more calves together, then the Monday sale would be more suitable.
Kilmallock Mart’s Wednesday evening sales will commence on 27th February - Intake will be open at 3.30 and all calves must be penned by 6.00 pm - Sale will commence at 6.45 pm. and should finish by 9.00 pm.
Image source: GVM Group \ Facebook