Thursday, January 23rd saw some 650 entries go under the hammer at Kilkenny Mart, according to George Candler.
The auctioneer reported a “good trade all-round” with a 99% clearance recorded in the bullock ring, while all cull cows were sold and 96% of heifers on offer found new homes.
Speaking following Thursday’s sale, Candler, said: “Numbers being offered for sale this year are ahead of 2019 returns, helped by the increase in cull cows offered for sale.”
“The more positive trade is also helping to restore confidence.” he added.
- 600kg+ - €1.65-€2.25/kg or €980-€1,600;
- 500-600kgs - €1.60-€2.35/kg or €850-€1,350/head;
- 400-500kgs - €1.50-€2.45/kg or €650-€1,160;
- <400kg - €1.60-€3.15/kg or €350-€1,060/head.
- Beef-types - €1.80-€2.40/kg or €900-€1,260/head;
- Forward-stores - €1.70-€2.25/kg or €840-€1,110/head;
- Light stores - €1.70-€2.25/kg or €510-€950/head.
- Friesian culls - €0.90-€1.80/kg;
- Continental culls - €1.30-€2.00/kg.