The ICBF (Irish Cattle Breeding Federation) has published a list of pedigree beef – country of origin trends from 2018.
Key points include;
- 70% of all pedigree calves born in 2018 were sired by Irish sires;
- Consequently, 30% of all pedigree calves, across the breeds, born in 2018, were sired by foreign sires;
- These foreign sires originated from 10 different countries; Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, UK & USA;
- Within the various breeds, the proportion of calves sired by foreign sires varies from 12% (Shorthorn) to 81% (Belgian Blue);
- The proportion of pedigree calves sired by Irish bulls has increased from 58% in 2013 to 70% in 2018;
- The UK has also retained its place as being the most popular foreign source of sires of pedigree calves (16%), just ahead of France (13%).
The following information has been obtained from the ICBF.