The 2020 Hereford Photo Competition, which carries a prize fund of over €2,000, has been launched.
As part of this initiative, Irish Hereford Breed Society and Irish Hereford Prime, have developed a photography tutorial video with professional photographer, Jeff Harvey.
This short video gives a few simple but effective tips that everyone will find useful and is available via irishhereford.com and irishherefordprime.com.
There are six categories including a video category open to entrants.
Each entrant may submit a maximum of two photos per category. Each photo entry must be accompanied by a caption.
Competition photos and entry details may be uploaded via a link on irishhereford.com or irishherefordprime.com.
Tennyson Egar of Irish Hereford Prime said: “This competition is a great opportunity for all ages to take photos to showcase their quality Herefords, with significant prizes on offer!”
1. Showtime (using Jeff’s top tips from tutorial video) standing pedigree Hereford animals for a photo as if at a show – all cows, heifers, bulls, calves accepted;
2. Cheeky chappies – Pedigree or crossbred Hereford Calves – must be under 6 months of age 3. The Boss – Hereford stock bull on his own or with a herd of Dairy or Suckler cows;
4. The whitehead cross – Hereford-cross heifers or steers in their natural environment
5. Cooking time – Best photo of cooked or fresh Hereford beef suitable for any occasion;
6. Why Hereford? - A video of you and /or your family talking about /promoting all things Hereford
- The rest is up to the entrant, feel free to use your imagination - have fun & act safely! - Max. 90 seconds duration;
- Video entry to be uploaded to your own YouTube channel and the link uploaded via the society's entry page.
There will be one prize awarded to the winner of each of the six categories.
Winners can choose from:
- €200 SuperValu voucher or;
- €200 Farm Wardrobe voucher;
- €300 Jeff Harvey Photography voucher
A one-to-one mentoring session on photography and using your camera from Jeff Harvey, along with a family /couple /children’s portrait captured by Jeff on the day at your house or on the farm.
The overall winner of the 2020 Hereford Photo Competition will receive a €500 cash prize.
“The Irish Hereford Breed Society and the Irish Hereford Prime beef producer group would encourage all Hereford enthusiasts to take part and get involved.”
“This is a great opportunity for people of all ages to get out with their phones and cameras and get creative.”
Full terms and conditions can be found on both websites; irishhereford.com and irishherefordprime.com.
The closing date for entries is midnight on August 28th, 2020.
An independent judge will shortlist the entries. These shortlisted photos will be available for the public to vote online from Thursday, September 33rd, 2020.
All entries will be judged primarily on the photo quality and not just the cattle.
Competition details are available on irishhereford.com and irishherefordprime.com. Any further queries may be sent by e-mail to - firstname.lastname@example.org - or - email@example.com. Alternatively, please phone (044) 9348855 or (083) 8168824.