This year’s Irish Hereford Calf Show - which will take place in the Show Arena of GVM Mart, Tullamore, Co. Offaly, this Sunday (November 11th) at 10am - has attracted approximately 120 entries.
Now in its fifth year, the Irish Hereford Calf Show - which promises to showcase a spectacular line-up of young calves - has generated interest from Hereford enthusiasts from across the water in recent years with breeders from the UK and Finland venturing over to enjoy the occasion.
Launched at this year’s Ploughing Championships, the event, organised by the North Leinster Branch of Irish Hereford Breed Society. has enjoyed a great deal of success since it began back in 2014 with top Hereford breeders from around the country battling it out for prestigious prizes, a spokesperson for the society outlined.
"The Hereford Calf Society has undertaken a significant promotional campaign over the last number of years and wishes to further strengthen the interest in Hereford Cattle by promoting the annual National Hereford Calf Show." The spokesperson added.
Judging the proceedings this year is prominent Limousin breeder Mr. William Smith - owner of the renowned Millbrook herd based in Oldcastle, Co. Meath.
There will be two young handlers’ classes on the day for ‘Under 14’ and ‘Under 21’ categories; both are free to enter with a number of trophies and medals being offered as prizes.
After this, there are five classes for both bulls and heifers with the ‘calf of the future’ added to this year’s event. The day will kick-off with heifer classes, followed by the commercial class and finally, finishing with the bulls.
As usual, there will be a Junior and Senior champion line-up for both bulls and heifers with an Overall Champion selected at the end.
There will also be an opportunity for spectators present on the day to select the ‘Peoples Champion’ by recording their selected animal on a voting slip.
Votes will be counted at the end with the winner receiving a very attractive prize, courtesy of Hereford Prime.
- Class 1: Young Handler - under 14 on the day of the show;
- Class 2: Young Handler - under 21 and over 14 on the day of the show;
- Class 3: Heifer calf born in September or October 2017;
- Class 4: Heifer calf born in November or December 2017;
- Class 5: Heifer calf born in January or February 2018;
- Class 6: Heifer calf born in March or April 2018;
- Class 7: Heifer calf of the future born from May 1st 2018 onwards;
- Senior Female Champion - Classes 3 &4;
- Junior Female Champion - Classes 5; 6; &7;
- Overall Female Champion;
- Class 8: Commercial Hereford-sired calf, male or female, not weighing 450kg on the day of the show - Prize-money: 1st - €200; 2nd - €120; 3rd: €80; 4th - €50 and 5th - €50;
- Class 9 - Bull calf born in September or October 2017.
Rules: All animals entered will be weighed on the morning of the show; pedigree heifers in excess of 1.5kg/day +40kg birth weight and bulls in excess of 1.7kg/day + 45 kg birth weight are not eligible for showing on the day.
Commercial calves over 450kgs on the day are not eligible for showing and must have HE or HEX on their Card. Young Handler Entries will not be accepted on the day.
Image source: Irish Hereford Breed Society LTD.