39 bulls went under the hammer and sold to an average of €3,150 at the recent Irish Hereford Cattle Society sale staged at Tullamore Mart. The society noted that the smaller offering was a result of a number of bulls sold were privately on-farm and at the Kilkenny and Ballybay multi-breed sales.
David Larkin topped the sale for the second consecutive year, this time with his seventeen-month-old five-star terminal bull Cill Cormaic Prince 2( pictured above). At a golden €5,000 Prince, the Reserve Senior Calf Champion at the 2017 Hereford National Calf Show, sired by Black Water sold.
Taking home the Champion ribbons in the pre-show event was Airhill Oconaill( pictured below), when UK Judge Gerald Blandford, owner of the Bosa Hereford Herd knocked him forward as the overall winner. Bred by John Johnston Co. Wexford and bought by JJ Farrell (owner of Trillick Herefords) back in November 2016, this four-star terminal sire was sold outside the ring for €4,250.
Frank Harrington from Strokestown acquired €3,700 for his bull F.H. Kingpin, a son of Haven Kingpin; this double five-star bull had excellent shape and tremendous length. Gageboro Rumpus, a bull with four and five-star for terminal and replacement indexes, owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway was knocked down at €3,550. He sold with proven bloodlines with great-grand sires Churchill Storm and Trillick Best in the mix. To follow in hot pursuit at €3,500 was “Kye Harry 753”, exhibited by Padraig McGrath, who is fertility-tested scored four-stars for both terminal and replacement indexes and is sired by Free Town Hotspur.
Larkin returned to the ring to offer another lot for sale, this time two-year-old bull Cill Cormaic Ocean and he exchanged hands for the same price tag of €3,500. A son of the herd’s easy-calving sire Cill Cormaic Lincoln, and Cill Cormaic Willow one of the herd’s best cow families, he sold with power and frame.
Results- Champion & Reserve
Champion: Airhill Oconaill Owned by JJ Farrell Trillick-A-Temple,Longford, Co. Longford | Sire: Ardmulchan Himalagan | Dam: Airhill Jug
Reserve Champion: Glaslough Sid Owned by Sam & Nigel Heatrick Annareagh, Glaslough, Co.Monaghan | Sire: Clondrina 1110th | Dam: Glaslough Dot
- Glaslough Rascal – Owned by Sam & Nugel Heatrick, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan
- Ardstewartpoll 1 Bailey – Owned by Nelson & Wade McCrabbe, Lifford, Co. Donegal (Sold €2,350)
- Boveen Pablo – Owned by Joe O’Connor, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €2,500)
- Cill Cormaic Ocean – Owned by David Larkin, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €3,500)
- Glaslough Sid – Owned by Sam & Nugel Heatrick, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan
- Gageboro Rustler – Owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway, Moate, Co. Westmeath
- Keenagh Maximus 2 – Owned by Edwin & Robert Jones, Keenagh, Co. Longford
- Corlismore Ranger 874 – Owned by Sean McKiernan, Corlismore, Co. Cavan
- Airhill Oconaill – Owned by JJ Farrell, Trillick, Co. Longford (Sold €4,250)
- Gageboro Rumpus – Owned by Niall Daly & Lisa Holloway, Moate, Co. Westmeath (Sold €3,550)
- Grianan Rex – Owned by Tom & Anselm Fitzgerald, Moate, Co. Westmeath
- Mountwilliam Kevin – Owned by Aidan Farrell, Moate, Co. Westmeath (Sold €3,000)
- Cill Cormaic Prince 2 – Owned by David Larkin, Birr, Co. Offaly (Sold €5,000)
- Corlismore Ted 894 – Owned by McKiernan, Corlismore, Co. Cavan
- Ardmulchan Napoleon – Owned by Philip Smyth, Navan, Co. Meath
- Cave Hill Pogba – Owned by Padraig Farrell – Athlone, Co. Westmeath
Upcoming sales dates:
- Bandon – Wednesday April 4th
- Nenagh – Saturday 14th
- Kilmallock – Friday April 20th
- Nenagh – Saturday May 19th