Progressive Genetics is continuing to operate its nationwide AI service, as “normally as possible” under HSE hygiene guidelines, during the current Covid-19 outbreak.
In a post on social media in recent days, the bovine genetics company urged its customer base to follow health and safety protocols.
“Eddie O'Byrne is one of our dedicated 150 AI Technicians on the road. We’re asking you to help us continue to provide the service by following these protocols.” the post outlined.
“This protocol is to minimize contact between the AI technician and customer, herdowners and farm staff while on-farm.”
The company encourage maximum usage of mobile phone communication to minimise personal contact with AI technicians;
- Please provide a fresh footbath for the AI technician;
- Have a designated area for instruction as to what cows are to be inseminated and with what sires ensuring no personal contact;
- Ensure all animals for insemination are located in CLEAN suitable handling facilities where animals can be restrained and handled safely by the AI technician with no additional personnel required;
- The company encourages the use of once-a-day AI, to minimise contact with herd owners and AI technicians. “There is sufficient evidence to show no difference in conception rates for twice-a-day AI versus once-a-day AI.”
- Have clean handling facilities and disinfect the area regularly;
- Provide a bag or bin for all the disposables- gloves, sheaths and straws;
- Please inform your local AI technician if you test positive for Covid-19 immediately.
“These protocols are in everybody’s interests and your co-operation is appreciated. Thank you for and on behalf of the Progressive Genetics AI service team.” the social media post concluded.
Image source: Progressive Genetics \ Facebook