The FurrowForce assembly is the latest release from Precision Planting and labeled the latest in intelligent planting technologies.
It is a new closing system for planters and helps them optimise closing. The design features both in-cab display and electronic measurement, which will help corn planters to become more efficient and achieve more consistent performances.
The design -
The FurrowForce design is equipped to fit both new and older planters.
Developers noted that the design leaves no air gaps of slotting, whilst also providing a path to the soil surface for seeds. It is also designed to help consolidate soils, helping them retain moisture.
The main aim of the design was to make the planting and closing process more consistent, aided by the 20-20 in-cab display, which greatly improved on visibility for operators. It also shows them closing margins and enables a good closing percentage.
How it works -
The FurrowForce system first closes furrows, moving soil inwards to ensure seed to soil contact.
Stitch-wheels, which are horizontally ribbed, are also fitted to help improve soil density and thus increase on moisture retention in the soil, therefore quickening the germination process. They firm the soil around the seed and then these two stages are linked with a load sensor, which can sense weight carried by the stitch-wheels.
A control module with a pneumatic airbag, allows operators to then adjust the force applied to each row. The 20-20 in-cab display allows operators to monitor closing margins and percentages.
- The FurrowForce is equipped to remove any air gaps in the soil, due to pinch wheels being positioned further back than usual and angled horizontally against the soil.
- The design also features with a control valve, which allows the operator to make adjustments whilst on the move, which is particularly handy for changing soil conditions. Operators can adjust the force applied to rows.
- More consistent and efficient performance.
- Improved visibility for operators.
- Improved soil Moisture retention.
- Improves soil density.
- Accelerates Germination process.
- Improves closing percentages.
- Features a display system which shows closing margins and closing percentage.
The design is due to undergo stringent testing over the coming months, trialed with a number of growers in the US. Intrigued and want to learn more? Check out the video of the design in action below (Courtesy of Future Farming on Youtube).