Teagasc Cork West will hold a farm health and safety awareness event on Wednesday, November 20th at 2.30 pm at Macroom Mart, Co Cork.
Representatives present from the HSA, Teagasc Cork West, An Garda Síochána, FBD and West-Cork Development Partnership will be in attendance.
A farm safety demonstration was held in conjunction with AgriKidsTM recently in Clondrohid National School; the winning farm safety posters from this demo will be on display at the event.
Highlight practical issues
Anthony Dineen Teagasc Drystock advisor, Macroom, said that the health and safety event is planned to highlight key practical issues which will help to prevent fatal and serious accidents on farms in the region.
The event takes place against the background of an increasing trend in farm deaths during 2019. Up until the end of October, this year, there have been 16 deaths on Irish farms, compared with a total of 15 on-farm deaths during all of 2018.
This event will focus on the following farm safety issues:
- New regulations and licencing laws applying to the road use of tractors, trailers and implements. The Garda traffic core will be on-hand to give practical advice on these new regulations;
- The dangers associated with tractors, the visibility of tractors and people being knocked down or crushed, and around, farmyards will be demonstrated at this event;
- Risks associated in handling livestock – A lot of handling of cattle takes place at this time of the year and adequate facilities are needed to handle cattle safely;
- Health & Safety Authority (HSA) staff will be present to describe how to avoid accidents when working at heights, and safety with slurry;
- Teagasc staff will present practical aspects when using chainsaws and the correct protective wear to use.
Image source: An Garda Síochána