Farm safety is a huge issue at present with farm accident numbers growing each year. Farms are not a play ground, farm machinery are not toys, livestock are not pets and safety is required by everyone on a farm to ensure there are no accidents.
- Check all buildings for obvious fire hazards and hazardous materials
- All farm chemicals should be stored securley so kids and animals can't get them
- Keep the weeds and grass trimmed so there are no hidden accident spots
- Keep tools stored away neatly and safetly
- Keep gas and diesel fuel tanks correded off and away from the farm buildings
- Ensure clothes are not loose when working with farm equipment
- Use safety equipment in a proper manner - gloves, hearing protection, and face masks
- Talk to children about the dangers on a farm and how to be safe on the farm
- Don't take passengers on tractor hitches, attachments or trailers.
- Ensure all PTO-powered equipment drive shafts are properly covered,
- Keep kids away from PTOs at all times
- Have first aid kits near where the tractor is kept.
- Dont get out off a tractor before ensuring its in park.
- Never leave power equipment running unattended.
- Always check equipment and keep it well maintained
- Be aware for animals change in temperment - can never trust their reaction
- Treat farm animals with respect.
- Care is needed with farm animals at breeding season - i.e bulls, rams, stallions, bore,
- Always take care around farm animals when giving birth - each animal reacts differnet at this time