Salesian Agricultural College – which is owned by the Salesians of Don Bosco Ireland - is seeking a farm manager.
This is a permanent position with a starting salary of €28,120 to €38,190 per annum (a standard working week of 37.5 hours - hours worked over the normal working week will be paid accordingly.)
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of a large pasture-based spring-calving dairy herd, in addition to a spring-calving suckler and spring lambing ewe flock.
The college farm is the teaching platform supporting a range of agricultural courses as well as operating as a commercial farm.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management of a large dairy herd (currently 300 cows), suckler herd (40 cows and young stock) and sheep flock (160 ewes), ensuring all enterprises operate at maximum technical and financial efficiency;
- Supervision of farm staff;
- Management and implementation of the agreed farm business plan;
- Take part in practical instruction with agricultural students;
- Responsible for health and safety on-farm;
- Dissemination of enterprise performance and management practices to students and visiting groups;
- Contribute to teamwork and team-spirit, and foster further collaboration and integration;
- Participate in Enterprise Team Meetings and College Management Team Meetings;
- Actively participate in the ongoing development and marketing of the Salesian Agricultural College;
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the College Principal or other nominated manager, from time to time.
The farm extends to 200 Ha and operates dairy, beef and sheep enterprises. The dairy herd is a spring calving, high-EBI (€158), grass-based with 340 cows to calve in spring-2020; all replacements are contract reared.
The suckler herd of 40 cows is spring-calving, with a high-replacement index (€173); male progeny are finished under 16 months. The mid-season ewe flock is also of high replacement index.
“The college is embarking on a further phase of dairy herd expansion and the successful candidate will be a key player in this development.”
Who should apply?
- Candidates must have a minimum QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Agriculture qualification or a similar qualification in a related discipline.
- It is highly desirable that applicants have completed the QQI Level 7 Professional Farm Management Course or have a number of years’ experience in the management of a dairy herd.
- Milk production systems and farm computer recording systems;
- Drystock production systems;
- Knowledge of the Irish dairy industry, Irish beef industry & Irish sheep industry.
- Grassland management, livestock breeding and reproduction, animal health and welfare;
- Farm financial & budgeting;
- Ability to critically evaluate the adequacy of methods, protocols and equipment performance;
- Ability to work well with animals;
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills;
- People and resource management skills;
- Data handling and computer skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team, including consulting, collaborating and building relationships with key partners;
- Methodical with a high degree of attention to detail;
- Demonstrates a positive approach to new challenges and dissemination of new tasks;
- Self-motivated and organised with strong interpersonal skills.
- Results-driven with openness to change and shifting priorities.
- Strong oral and written communications skills with an ability to convey messages in a clear and concise manner;
- Proactive, solutions-approach to work;
- Strong customer-service focus.
Candidates must satisfy and continue to satisfy during employment with Salesian Agricultural College, legal requirements to drive a car unaccompanied on Irish public roads.
How to apply
An application form for this position can be accessed here.
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in MS WORD format or PDF and submitted by email to - email@example.com - no later than 12 midnight on Thursday, July 11th, 2019.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Salesian Agricultural College is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.
Interviews are planned for Wednesday, July 24th, 2019.