A man in his 70s was overcome by fumes while mixing slurry in a shed on the Killylacky Road in Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, yesterday (Thursday, June 6th).
He had collapsed and was rescued by another man - in his 40s - from the shed prior to the arrival of firefighters.
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) was called to an incident at the farm shortly after 12 pm.
"Both men were treated at the scene by paramedics. Two cows in the shed were overcome by the fumes and died as a result.” a NIFRS spokesperson explained.
It has issued the following advice to farmers; “We would like to remind the farming community to ensure that the mixing of slurry is carried out in well-ventilated spaces.”
"Stay out of the shed for 30 minutes after starting mixing or after moving or re-directing the pump; try to mix on a windy day."