Farmers use various types of bedding, but once they find one they are satisfied with, they don’t tend to switch it up. Many farmers, especially in the equine industry, have begun using straw made from oilseed rape, but what are the benefits?
- It is not only very strong, but also very absorbent and easily cleaned out. It is more absorbent than most straws and bedding alternatives.
- It is naturally untasty to animals, meaning they will leave it for use as bedding, rather than eating it.
- It is dust free, due to it being processed from chopped, dust-extractedoilseeded rape straw. A
- It is a comfortable source of bedding and suitable for use with animals of all types and health conditions.
- It helps decrease the risk of mastitis and high cell counts, on dairy farms.
- It doesn’t affect slurry mixing or dung spreading and can be easily added. The straw rots away quickly, so it could be used as compost.
- It is very cost effective and in fact, is generally cheaper than other alternatives.
- It maintains its structure, meaning your animal avoids the impact of harder ground surfaces.
- It is made from straw left over from the harvest, meaning its a way for farmers to prevent wastage.
- It is ready for use as soon as it is unbagged and is non-clumping.
The straw is generally baled when moisture levels are from 9% to 12%. This ensures it is of the best quality and extra absorbent.
As mentioned above it is widely used in the equine industry as well as the poultry industry and for pets also. Why not try some on our stock?