Almost 800 cattle were presented for sale at Kilkenny Mart on Thursday, January 16th, according to George Candler.
The auctioneer said that both heifers and cull cows met a fast selling trade, with a selling rate of 100 culls per hour; bullocks met a similar trade to the previous week.
A special suckler sale saw a top call of €1610/head for in-calf lots. “It is evident that much more confidence has returned to the trade.” Candler added.
- Bullocks 600kg+ - €1.60-€2.23/kg or €1,060-€1,550;
- Bullocks 500-600kgs - €1.50-€2.35/kg - €780-€1,350;
- Bullocks 400-500kgs - €1.50-€2.55/kg or €650-€1,140;
- Bullocks <400kgs - €1.50-€2.60/kg or €440-€990.
- Friesian cull cows - €0.98-€1.56/kg;
- Continental cull cows - €1.35-€1.90/kg.
- Beef heifers - €1.80-€2.35/kg or €1,050-€1,450;
- Forward-store heifers - €1.85-€2.51/kg or €880-€1,230;
- Light store heifers - €1.70-€3.02/kg or €550-€850.