Approximately 800 lots were on offer at Ennis Mart on Tuesday (October 22nd), according to a spokesperson.
“Numbers back quite a bit; quality is very variable at the moment but the good quality lots are still holding a very good trade.”
The spokesperson noted that the heifer trade improved by €20-€30/head, in most cases, as more farmers made their presence felt at the ringside.
“Bit more activity from the shippers in the bull ring but these are also quite price-conscious and they are back €50/head on what they were spending a month ago.” said the spokesperson who stressed that bulls over 420kgs were a tough trade.
“Runner numbers back as it seems farmers are holding some stock in anticipation of a price rise.”
Runner heifers sold to €660 and bulls pushed up to €840; in-calf suckler stock made to €1,500 while calves hit €550.
- 2 CHX - 282kgs - €840 - €2.97/kg;
- 1 LMX - 410kgs - €1,100 - €2.68/kg;
- 1 LMX - 260kgs - €770 - €2.96/kg;
- 1 LMX - 405kgs - €900 - €2.22/kg;
- 1 CHX - 345kgs - €1,035 - €3.00/kg;
- 1 CH - 325kgs - €910 - €2.80/kg;
- 1 CH - 365kgs - €1,025 - €2.81/kg;
- 4 CHX - 310kgs - €875 - €2.82/kg.
- 1 LMX - 285kgs - €760 - €2.67/kg;
- 2 CH - 397kgs - €920 - €2.31/kg;
- 1 CHX - 365kgs - €1,000 - €2.74/kg;
- 1 LM - 375kgs - €885 - €2.36/kg;
- 1 LM - 230kgs - €700 - €3.04/kg;
- 1 LM - 300kgs - €820 - €2.73/kg;
- 1 CH - 340kgs - €860 - €2.53/kg;
- 2 LM - 277kgs - €700 - €2.52/kg.
“Sheep trade a shade sharper with more wholesale activity and sheep generally making €2/kg. Cull ewes made €84 to €110." the spokesperson concluded.