In 2017, net subsidies accounted for 47.3% of agricultural income (operating surplus) at State level, according to figures released by the CSO.
In the Northern and Western region, net subsidies to the value of €582.1 million accounted for 64.2% of agricultural income and in the Southern region net subsidies with a value of €739.6m accounted for 37.9% of agricultural income - the lowest dependence on subsidies.
Data released by the CSO show that the Eastern and Midland region net subsidies amounted to 52.8% of agricultural income - €315m.
An analysis of agriculture in the regions in the year 2017 shows that:
- The Southern region accounted for 54.5% of goods output by Irish agriculture;
- Over 72% of total milk output was produced in the Southern region;
- Just over 50% of national sheep output originated from the Northern and Western region;
- The Eastern and Midland accounted for 47.7% of cereal and 56.9% of potatoes output of the country;
- Over half (51.8%) of all expenses on the items of intermediate consumption were incurred by the farms in the Southern region.