A farmer has taken to social media to ask the public to stop releasing balloons and to dispose of rubbish properly.
A one-week-old calf suffocated to death when a piece of plastic – from a balloon or bag – became lodged in its throat on Red Dirt Hill Farm – Kentucky, last Saturday (March 30th).
Releasing a statement of Facebook, the farmer said: “WARNING - This is not for the squeamish.
For those people who celebrate special days or remember loved ones by releasing balloons to float away peacefully into the heavens, this is the end result.”
“Or for those who toss trash out of their car, this is where it can end up. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I am furious.”
The owners discovered this 1-week-old calf on Friday morning (March 30th) while feeding.“It suffocated with a plastic bag still hanging from its mouth. Can you imagine the suffering and terror it experienced?”The owner said.
“You can still see the lick marks on her where her mother was lovingly and probably frantically trying to help.”
“Please don't release balloons. It may be beautiful but they come down and kill as sure as a bullet does.”
"Dispose of trash properly"
The farmer asked the public to dispose of trash properly, highlighting that the wind catches the plastic bags and carries them like balloons to land “where an innocent animal can eat them and die”.
“Tell your family, friends, neighbours, co-workers that celebrating and remembering with balloons can cause death.”
“Clean your car out and dispose of trash properly. Was this worth it, if it happened to be you who let that balloon go or threw out the trash?”
“If you knew the end result would you still do it?” The post concluded.
Image source: Red Dirt Hill Farm \ Facebook