Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Michael Creed TD has confirmed that talks with beef stakeholders have successfully concluded.
The Minister commented: ”After long and detailed negotiations, stakeholders have reached agreement on a wide of very significant issues.”
”Progress was made on important initiatives aimed at improving transparency along the supply chain, and improving communication between industry and farmers.” he added.
The agreement includes commitments on:
- Review of the grid;
- Review of the in-spec criteria for the quality payment system bonus;
- Availability of carcass images
- Appeals system for carcass classification in manually grading factories
- Publication of an expert report on new technology in mechanical carcass classification and
- Promotional initiatives for the beef sector;
- Market transparency initiatives, including more detailed price reporting, and the transposition of the EU Directive on Unfair Trading Practices.
“I wish to thank Michael Dowling for his excellent work in chairing the talks and all of the participants for the constructive engagement throughout the process,” he concluded.