A farmer has taken to social media to urge the public to take care when releasing balloons as they “can have deadly consequences.”
“Please, on behalf of not only livestock but wildlife, skip the balloons when you’re decorating for your party this summer!” Peterson Farm said in a statement on its Facebook page.
“Erik picked up this strand of eleven balloons out of the hayfield. They were losing helium and would have been essentially invisible in another few hours.”
“[They] then stood a good chance of getting mowed, raked and baled in the dense grass to be potentially eaten by a cow, horse or goat this winter.”
“This is often fatal to the animal, causing intestinal blockage or choking.”
“With the long strings wound right into the bale, an animal may not even realize what it’s consuming until it’s too late.” the farmer added.
Image source: Peterson Farm \ Facebook