Getting into the livestock auctioneering game can be a difficult stepping stone for many individuals. Securing a degree in order to apply for your licence from the PRSA is an essential requirement.
PSP licences are categorised according; A, B, C and D. There is a range of Level 5, Level 6, Level 7 and Level 8 undergraduate courses that students can opt for to assist with career progression. We have provided an example of some of the routes that aspiring auctioneers( livestock and/or property) can take ranging from a Level 5 –Level 8.
FETAC Level 5 – QQI Certificate in Business Studies (5M2102)
This one-year full-time course has been developed in conjunction with the Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Institue (IAVI). Students can progress to higher education.
This course is offered by Ballsbridge College and Blackrock Further Education Institute among other colleges.
Special purpose award ‘Top up’ route for Green Cert Graduates
This special purpose award has been developed by the Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers (IPAV) in partnership with ICOS Mart and the Institute of Technology, Tallaght.
To be eligible for this course, candidates must:
- Have successfully completed the Teagasc Level 6 Green Cert
- Be working for an ICOS mart.
Upon completion of this course, graduates can apply for an auctioneer’s Category ‘A’ licence, which will be granted by the Property Services Regulatory Authority (PRSA). In order for this to happen, the graduates must undertake a professional practice module, which is run by IPAV and IT Tallaght. It includes an exam and some practical work.
Level 6: Higher Certificate in Real Estate (Valuation, Sale and Management)
- To meet the needs of those already working in the industry or related areas.
- Those who want to enter the profession for the first time.
- Those who wish to satisfy the requirements of the PRSA.
- Five passes in the Irish Leaving Certificate examination or the equivalent which includes English and Maths (or a Mathematical subject).
- Award from a recognised awarding body.
- Candidates can be assessed and considered on the grounds of previous qualifications and work experienced.
- Holders of existing IPAV qualifications, using a process of RPL ( Recognition of Prior Learning).
Graduates can progress to a Level 7 degree or a Level 8 degree, once they have achieved the Level-6 award.
Level 7: DIT – Auctioneering, Valuation & Estate Agency
This is a three-year full-time ordinary degree with approximately forty places available, is located in DIT Bolton Street.
Once a student has completed two years of the course and gained 120 ECTS credits, they can be granted with a graded Certificate in Auctioneering, Valuation and Estate Agency. This will allow them to apply for their licence from the PRSA.
Level 8: Property Valuation & Management- BSc (Honours) – Level 8
LIT offers this course a BSc ( Hons) Property Valuation & Management course.
BSc (Hons) Real Estate Management Distance Learning
This two-year course facilitated by IPAV is a Higher Certificate in Real Estate and is recognised by The College of Estate Management at Reading University.