Dry cows met with a steady trade at Elphin Mart on Monday, March 9th, according to Gerry Connellan.
A 95% clearance was recorded in this ring, which saw an average price of €1,214 as entries fetched from €445-€1,790 for an 845kg Limousin entry.
The average price achieved for in-calve entries was €1,124 - prices ranged from €925 to €15,00 for a Charolais cow with her time-up early-March to a Limousin bull.
Pedigree unhaltered sale:
A 74% clearance of males gave rise to an average price of €1,130, according to Connellan, who outlined that entries went under the hammer from €800-€1,600.
73% of females found new homes, as prices ranged from €900-€1,200, which resulted in an average of €1,058.
“We had a 62% clearance of bull weanlings with prices a bit less but governed by quality.”
- <300 kg - the average price was €777 with a maximum of €825 for a 275kg Charolais;
- 300-400 kg - the average price was €911 with a maximum of €1,060 for a 365 kg Charolais;
- 400-500 kg - the average price achieved was €1,046 with a maximum of €1,100 for a 490 kg Charolais.
“We had a 56% clearance of heifer weanlings with prices governed by quality.”
- <300 kg - the average price achieved was €629 with a maximum of €805 for a 300 kg Limousin;
- 300-400 kg - the average price achieved was €744 with a maximum of €1,000 for a 340 kg Charolais;
- 400-500 kg - the average price achieved was €943 with a maximum of €1,100 for a 420 kg Charolais.
“A 94% clearance of lambs with prices steady. A 90% clearance of ewes ranged in price from €43-€45. Breeding sheep ranged from €125-€150.” the mart manager added.
- 53 kg - €137;
- 48 kg - €120;
- 44.5 kg - €104;
- 40 kg - €99;
- 30 kg - €50.