There was a lively trade at Tullow Mart’s female show and sale on Friday, January 31st, according to Eric Driver.
He said there was noticeable custom around the ring for in-spec fleshed, store heifers and cows. “The trade for the heavier cows especially was beyond all belief.”
“[It was] a sale that would remind farmers to remember that the sales ring is always a place to command a leading factory price.” the mart manager added.
Driver pointed out that overall, FR-type feeding cows sold from €150 up to €350 with the kg - depending on flesh and quality, while continental cows ranged from €200-€450 with the kg - depending on age. Heavy cows peaked at €1950 or €1,000 with the kg.
Driver reported butcher and factory activity in the heifer ring, with a demanding trade for fleshed entries. Continentals went under the hammer from €2.00/kg for HE and AA-types with up to €2.40/kg for beef-types.
He pointed out that stores were also a lively trade with a base of €2.00 for Hereford and Angus-types, while R and U-grade continental-types pushed from €2.80-€3.05/kg.
Friesian calves topped out at €110 while lighter shipping calves sold from €30 to €50; Hereford and Angus heifers and bulls made from €120 to €270 with up to €375 forked out for continental bulls.
Best factory-type cow:
- 1st - Frank Buggie, Ballyrider, Stradbally, Co. Laois – 930kg - €1950;
- 2nd - Frank Buggie, Ballyrider, Stradbally, Co. Laois - €750 - €1,600;
- 3rd - Noel Kelly, Williamstown, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow – 740kg - €1,550.
Best 2 or more fat heifers:
- 1st - Frank Buggie, Ballyrider, Stradbally, Co. Laois – 693kg - €1,460;
- 2nd - Thomas Bolger, Clonagoose, Borris, Co. Carlow – 647kg – €1,390;
- 3rd - Frank Buggie, Ballyrider, Stradbally, Co. Laois – 653kg - €1480.
Best fat heifer:
- 1st - Diarmuid O Sullivan, Ardoyne, Tullow, Co. Carlow – 645kg - €1690;
- 2nd - Albert Grothier, Ullard, Fenagh, Co. Carlow – 565kg - €1400;
- 3rd - Reps of Patrick Doyle, Ardnateggle, Killeshin, Co. Carlow – 650kg - €1560.
Best group of 2 or more store heifers:
- 1st - Martin Dooley, Knockshawbally, Co. Kilkenny -465kg - €1135;
- 2nd - Phyllis Hopkins, Broughillstown, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow – 490kg - €1,200;
- 3rd - Patrick Byrne, Vermount, Hacketstown, Co. Carlow – 505kg - €1,025.
Best store heifer:
- 1st - Eamonn Rigney, Brocca, Clonaslee, Co. Laois – 495kg - €1,145;
- 2nd - James Meaney, The Ridge, Old Leighlin, Co. Carlow – 440kg - €1,060;
- 3rd - Eamonn Righney, Borcca, Clonaslee, Co. Laois -525kg - €1,140.
Best weanling heifer
- James Ryan, Crowsgrove, Kildavin, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.