Saturday, February 15th saw just over 1,300 entries, including 170 cull cows, 350 calves and 70 sucklers, go under the hammer at Carnew Mart, according to David Quinn.
The mart manager reported a strong trade, improved demand for both beef and store cattle. “Both weanling bulls and heavy bulls met a strong export demand,” Quinn added.
Bullocks and bull weanlings:
- Beef and forward bullocks from €550 to €1,000 over the kg;
- Continental store bullocks from €480 to €850 over;
- Hereford and Angus bullocks from €370 to €640 over;
- Friesian bullocks from €280 to €530 over;
- Weanling bulls from €450 to €800 over;
- Beef heifers from €570 to €900 over;
- Continental store heifers from €470 to €780 over;
- Hereford and Angus store heifers from €350 to €540 over;
Cull cows and sucklers:
- Beef cows from €350 to €750 over;
- Store cows from €150 to €450 over;
- Cows with calves at foot from €1,200 to €1,900;
- In-calf sucklers from €1,000 to €1,700.
- Continental bull calves from €240 to €450;
- Continental heifer calves from €150 to €380;
- Strong Friesian bulls from €50 to €120;
- Young Friesian bulls from €20 to €40.