There was a “good solid” trade for lambs at Kilkenny Mart’s sheep sale on Tuesday (June 2nd), according to George Candler.
Candler reported there has been some stabilisation in the sheep trade with prices “appearing to steady”, especially for lambs with flesh in excess of 43kg. Although trade was reduced, it was not as bad as first feared with heavy lambs peaking at €127.
The auctioneer revealed that the calf sale attracted a lot of strong calves as a result of the 120-day rule extension. Most of the calves were purchased for the home market, with a limited number going for export.
Butchers lambs - €2.35-€2.70/kg or €115-€127/head:
- X10 54kg - €2.35/kg - €127;
- X8 52kg - €2.42/kg - €126;
- X17 46kg - €2.65/kg - €122;
- X15 44kg - €2.70/kg - €119.
Factory lambs - €2.55-€2.65/kg or €105-€114/head:
- X12 43kg - €2.65/kg - €114;
- X8 42kg - €2.62/kg - €110;
- X15 41kg - €2.63/kg - €108;
- X8 40kg - €2.63/kg - €105.
Store lambs - €2.45-€2.65/kg or €88-€108/head:
- X8 41kg - €2.63/kg - €108;
- X10 40kg - €2.63/kg - €105;
- X7 39kg - €2.46/kg - €96;
- X8 37kg - €2.54/kg - €94.
- Cast ewes - €95-€121/head
- Friesian bulls - €100-€275/head;
- Continental bulls - €210-€350/head;
- Continental heifers - €150-€350/head;
- HE/AA bulls - €120-€315/head;
- HE/AA heifers - €110-€250/head.