Quality continental stores met with strong demand at Carnew Mart on Saturday (October 12th), according to David Quinn – manager who noted that quality lots were in “scare supply”.
He outlined that some 920 and 60 calves were presented for sale. “Forward cattle continue to meet a slow demand. Light Friesian, Hereford and Angus cattle were met with good farmer demand.”
“140 dry cows saw beef and store cows in strong demand leading to a full clearance,” Quinn added.
- Beef and forward bullocks - €450 – €850 over;
- Continental store bullocks - €350 – €730 over;
- HE and AA bullocks - €250 – €570 over;
- Beef heifers - €440 – €770 over;
- Continental store heifers - €330 – €650 over;
- HE and AA heifers - €210 – €460 over;
- Beef cows - €310 – €680 over;
- Store cows - €100 under – €280 over.
Quinn said that exporters competed for lighter-types as well as U and E grade heavier-types at the mart’s weanling sale on Wednesday, October 9th.
Some 810 lots were presented for sale; farmers made their presence felt for quality heifers, while plainer heifers continued to be a difficult trade.
- Heavy bulls - €1.76 – €2.35/kg;
- Light bulls - €1.85 -€2.77/kg;
- Heavy heifers - €1.65 – €2.55/kg;
- Light heifers - €1.85kg – €2.92/kg.