Scariff Mart’s weanling show and sale — which was held on Saturday, September 7th — proved an “excellent success despite the uncertain times we are currently in,'' according to a spokesperson.
The spokesperson noted that average prices were back 2.3% on last year.
“The farmers of east Clare and south Galway are to be complimented for the stock they offered and this helped to attract many repeat customers from Tipperary, Limerick, Westmeath and many others.”
“The live shipping of bull weanlings is proving very beneficial to the underpinning of the bull trade.” the spokesperson added.
Best Limousin Bull:
- 8E – Raymond Acres, Coolreagh, Bodyke, Co. Clare. 440kgs €1,080;
- 12 – John Minogue, Ballinagough, Whitegate, Co. Clare. 285kgs €835.
Best Charolais Bull:
- 11c – Maurice Murphy, Asher, Tulla, Co. Clare. 415kgs - €1,175;
- 4 – Morgan Flannery, Rostullis, Woodford, Co. Galway. 405kgs - €1,000
Best Charolais Heifer:
- 46k – Maurice Murphy, Asher, Tulla, Co. Clare. 390kgs - €925;
- 46m – Tony Kelleher, Dromod, Bodyke, Co. Clare. 420kgs - €840.
Best Limousin Heifer:
- 48c – Michael O’Grady, Caherhurley, Bodyke, Co. Clare. 370kgs - €805;
- 48m - Michael O’Grady, Caherhurley, Bodyke, Co. Clare. 355kgs - €800.
Best Group Weanling Bulls - any breed:
- 15 – Paul Nugent, Bauroe, Feakle, Co. Clare. X6 325.83kgs - €890.
Best Pair Weanling Heifers any breed
- 43b – Jim Loughnane, Bauroe, Feakle, Co. Clare. X2 280kgs - €820.