Saturday, September 5th saw another large turnout of cattle at Headford Mart, according to Joe Wynne.
He reported that the sale attracted some 550 lots with a “remarkable” trade for weanlings.
- Bullocks ranged from €1.23 to €2.72 per kg or €135 to €810 over the kg - Top price over the kg – a CHX - 640kg - €1450 - €2.27/kg or LMX - 730kg - €1540 - €2.11/kg and top price per kg - CHX - 460kg - €1250 - €2.72/kg.
- Heifers went under the hammer from €1.45 to €2.82 per kg or €140 to €750 over the kg - Top price over kg – a LMX - 570kg - €1320 - €2.32/kg and top price per kg – a CHX - 390kg - €1100 - €2.82/kg.
- Weanling heifers climbed from €1.86 to €3.21 per kg or €300 to €715 over the kg - Top price over the kg – a CHX - 395kg - €1110 - €2.81/kg (1st prize) and top price per kg, Chx, 315kg, €1010, €3.21/kg.
- Weanling bulls clicked from €1.98 to €3.39 per kg or €400 to €920 over the kg - Top price over the kg – a CHX -440kg - €1360 - €3.09/kg and top price per kg – a CHX - 375kg - €1270 - €3.39/kg (2nd prize).
- Cull cows made from €690 to €1720 for a 9-year-old CHX, weighing 900kgs.
- Suckler pairs topped out at €1860 – a price that was paid for an 8-year-old BA with a May-born SIX heifer calf.
1,600 sheep were on offer, according to the mart manager who reported that lambs ranged from €78 up to €140 or €1.83 to €3.21 per kg.
- 50kg - €140 - €2.80/kg;
- 42.5kg, €128, €3.01/kg;
- 44kg - €130 - €2.95/kg;
- 36kg - €106 - €2.94/kg;
- 38kg - €111 - €2.92/kg.
Cull ewes made from €60 to €120, while breeders pushed from €83 to €250 and rams peaked at €410; ewe hoggets clicked from €105 to €240.
Prize-winners - Charolais weanling show & sale:
1st – Pat O’Brien, Culleen, Headford - CHX - 395kg - €1110 - €2.81/kg;
2nd – Peter Reilly, Biggeramore, Belclare. Chx, 290kg, €900, €3.10/kg.
1st (John Reilly Memorial Cup) – Sean McDonagh, Ballinakillew, Headford – CHX - 420kg - €1290 - €3.07/kg;
2nd – Tom Cawley, Gurteen, Shrule – CHX - 375kg - €1270 - €3.39/kg.